Sunday, December 6, 2009

Let the constructing begin


Ty has officially started to re-do my old schwinn bicycle that I used to ride when I was a kid. With the help of his brother, they have taken the bike completely apart. They are going to sand it, paint it and make it all brand new for Alexa for Christmas.

For those who don't know about this bike, I'll share with you the story of how it came into my life. When I was 8 years old my grandfather bought me this bike for my birthday, I remember it well...with its old blue scratched up paint, white glitter banana seat and the big white basket on the front. I thought I was lance armstrong on this bike let me tell ya, I thought I was hot stuff!

Then around the age of, um, lets say 12...I hated this bike, with a passion! It was too old school for me..I wanted a BMX, but NOPE! My tata was a man who wasted nothing, if that bike had 2 wheels and would still pedal around then it was good enough for me. According to him, that was a "perfectly good bike"!! So what did I do you ask? What a typical spoiled brat would do, I REFUSED to ride it. Instead, I took up rollersating to get around. (which I ended up breaking my arm at his house, see he should have listened to my requests in the 1st place)

The bike was then passed on to my poor little cousin. She too, hated that bike. In the same fashion, tata told her the same thing he told me : "thats a perfectly good bike!". She even recently told me she had tried abandon the bike in the wash near their house in the hopes of maybe getting a new bike...but those hopes were squashed when a local neighbor walking in the wash noticed a bike that he had seen one too many of my tata's grandkids riding on and doing the "good neighbor' thing they do...he brought the bike back to my tata's house. Needless to say, my cousin was furious that this bike had been recovered...but tata was THRILLED!

So about 5 years ago, my tata gave me my bike back so my kids could ride it. At first I was horrified to see that same old, dingy bike arrive back at my door. It has since become a family heirloom, and it has touched me that my tata has kept it for all these years and never tossed it out. It has many memories of my childhood, as I'm sure many memories for him as he remembers all his grandkids riding this bike. (and now we're all grown up) If you can beleive it, my kids LOVE this bike! So we thought it would be a great idea to take this perfectly good, solid constructed bike and fix it up since it is afterall, a classic. And a classic in my family.

My tata doesn't know our plans of fixing up the bike & this year he will be spending christmas with us...I can't wait to surprise him and alexa with a brand new shiny pink schwinn. (Shhh..don't tell mom) OH, and the funnier thing is my cousin who ditched this same bike will be here too..LOL. I'll post pictures once it's done.





No comments:

Post a Comment