Saturday, February 27, 2010

To really teach or just preech? This is the question...

It's already a major pain in the butt that we can't bake our children foods to share at school like we used to back in the day, but serisouly, to replace my home cooked semi-healthy treat with friggin pop tarts??? Seriously?? THAT is supposed to be a healthy alternative? C'mon now!!

While watching my famed FOX news this morning, I saw that this is happening in NY. Why do I care about what is going on in NY?? Well, DUH! If it passes in NY, it will only be a matter of time before this ridiculous stuff passes in our hometown.

Bake sales raise alot of money for schools, in NY they did away with the bake sales and replaced the bake sale revenue with vending machine revenue. With childhood obesity at an all time high in America, this doesn't make very much sense to me.
As parents, we all try to teach our kids to eat whole healthy foods with only a little bit of splurging, but how is supplying our children with a vending machine full of PROCESSED foods everyday helping the obesity problem in our country?

Bake sales usually last only a week, vending machines are permanent. Now you do the math, it seems to me that the schools are choosing to make more revenue over teaching healthy habits.
So the question remains, are we really teaching? Or just preeching?

No Brownies, but doritos and poptarts are really ok?? Am I the only parent who has a problem with this? Many of these mom's who bake for bakesales/childrens classrooms (myself included) love their children and would rather make their children something from scratch instead of buying something pre-made with ingredients on it that you can't even pronounce or understand. Seriously, when I need a dictionary to read the food labels, I certainly would rather my kids having the darn brownie made by some bake sale mom! Whatever happened to the good ole' days where you could make your kids cupcakes for their birthday and bring them to school? Or you could make holiday treats for parties at school? Seems to me that when I was a kid (BTW, bakesales were the highlight of my twilight back in the day) there wasn't such a big problem with childhood obesity, we all survived without vending machines and we all ate lunches our moms made for us. OH...and we had P.E. back then too. Don't even get me started on the lack of P.E. in our schools...another subject for another day!!

One last question, when was the last time you baked your kids a brownie, cupcake or cookie and you added fake flavoring? Fake food coloring? Preservatives? Flavor enhancers such as disodium inosinate and disodium gyanylate? Ya, me neither!
Blogger Templates

Blogger Templates

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I TOTALLY agree with you. And guess what? It is happening in Washington, too. We can't take any home baked goods to class for birthdays, partys or anything. We can't even slice our own fruit and veggies, we have to buy pre-sliced. PU-LEASE!! I think it's gotten a bit out of hand!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow rebecca, I never even would have thought I would see a day where we have to buy pre-cut fruit!

    As for the PE, Paige is a freshman in highschool and this semester is the first time she has had to take PE since 6th grade & once she is done with it, she is done with PE for the rest of highschool!! I remember it being manditory, guess that means I'm old! :)

    ReplyDelete